–Herbert Hoover, 31st president of the United States, received his bachelor’s degree from Stanford.
–John F. Kennedy, 35th president of the United States, dropped out of Stanford’s MBA program.
–Sandra Day O’Connor was the first female Supreme Court Justice of the United States, and received both her bachelor’s degree in economics and her law degree from Stanford.
–Condoleezza Rice, Secretary of State under the Bush administration, served as Stanford’s provost.
In light of the upcoming election season, and republican candidate Mitt Romney’s affiliation with Stanford University (attended Stanford for his freshman year), I thought it might be interesting to list a sampling of other Stanford affiliates currently serving in politics:
IN THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION:
1) Valerie Jarrett ’78 serves as a senior advisor and assistant to President Obama in the Office of Public Liason
2) Steven Chu, former chair of the physics department, is Secretary of Energy
3) Kristina Johnson, ’81, MA ’82, Phd ’84 serves as the US Under Secretary of Energy
4) John P. Holdren, Phd ’70, is a top science advisor
5) Michael McFaul, political science professor, serves as special assistant to the president for national security affairs and senior director for Russian and Eurasian affairs that the National Security Council
6) Elizabeth Sherwood-Randall, a senior research scholar at the Freeman Spogli Institute, serves as a special assistant to the president and senior director for European affairs at the National Security Council
1) Lt. Gen. Karl W. Eikenberry, MA ’94 recently served as the Obama-appointed US Ambassador to Kabul
2) Eric J. Boswell ’70, Assistant US Secretary of State for Diplomatic Security
3) William Kennard ’78, US Ambassador to the EU
4) Eileen Chaimberlain Donahoe, JD ’88, MA ’89, US Ambassador to the UN Human Rights Council
5) Carlos Pascual ’80 US Ambassador to Mexico
6) John Roos ’77, JD ’80 US Ambassador to Japan
7) James B. Warwick Jr. ’78, US Ambassador to Bulgaria
1) Stephen Breyer ’59, is an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court
2) Anthony Kennedy ’58 is an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court
3) Carlos Bea ’56, JD ‘58 is a Judge of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
4) Consuelo Maria Callahan ’72 is a Judge of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals